We currently have PhD positions available at the University of Adelaide (UA) and Charles Sturt University (CSU) in the following projects. View the links below to find out more about each project.
- Inter-vine signalling via plant volatiles (UA, ICHDR1 – Position available 2019)
- Genetic basis of salt exclusion in grapevine (UA, ICHDR4)
- Rapid assessment of grapes prior to harvest to quantify fungal off-flavours and product composition (CSU, ICHDR6)
- Alternatives to sulfur dioxide for controlling Brettanomyces spoilage in wine (UA, ICHDR7)
- The impact of light on oxidative and reductive aging of wine (CSU, ICHDR8)
- Defining and exploiting the indigenous microflora of grapes (UA, ICHDR12)
- Efficient red winemaking by monitoring extraction and evolution of colour and polyphenols (UA, ICHDR14 – Masters position)
- Membrane filtration technologies for efficient wine processing and recovery of valuable extracts (UA, ICHDR16)
Positions are open to both domestic and international applicants. Applicants will need to have completed an Honours or Masters degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field, with at least one year of research experience, and have achieved a high level result.
Applicants will also need to meet the relevant Universities eligibility conditions. Please note that students may be required to meet a minimum English language proficiency for entry. University of Adelaide information available here.
Training Centre PhD and MPhil scholarships will be for a period of three or two years respectively and receive an indicative stipend of AUD$32,304 per annum. Students appointed to projects at Charles Sturt University will be eligible for a top-up, making a combined stipend plus top-up value of $35,000 per annum.
Tuition fee waivers may be available for exceptional international students, who meet the minimum English language proficiency requirements. Eligibility for a tuition fee waiver will be assessed on a case by case basis.
The Centre will provide a unique training opportunity for its students including:
- World class facilities and experts across the participating organisations
- Unifying Centre research agenda with multi-disciplinary projects
- Generous project support
- Up to 12-month placement with industry and/or partner organisations
- An annual Centre research symposium
- Research skills and career development workshops
- Competitive support for national and international conference travel
Are you interested?
In the first instance please contact the project leader of the project(s) you are interested in to express your interest in the project and include a copy of your CV and academic transcript.
Information on how to apply for these positions will be provided upon request as different processes are in place at the University of Adelaide and Charles Sturt University and can vary for international and domestic applicants.
Application queries can be directed to TC Manager Dr Joanna Sundstrom (email@example.com).
We are happy to hear from students with their own funding who are interested in working in the Centre. Please fill in the enquiry form below and we can put you in touch with a suitable supervisor.
We are always happy to discuss opportunities to collaborate with other researchers and members of the wine industry.
You are welcome to contact a specific researcher directly or send us an enquiry via the form at the bottom of this page. Contact details for individual researchers can be found through the people page.
Our team is located across two nodes: one centred at The University of Adelaide’s Waite campus, which forms part of the Wine Innovation Cluster, and the second at the National Wine and Grape Industry Centre (NWGIC) at Charles Sturt University.
If you would like to organise a time to visit either Centre location please get in touch using the contact details below. Alternatively, if you would like to visit a specific researcher, you may wish to contact them directly.
Researcher contact details can be found through the People page.
ARC TC-IWP at University of Adelaide
Phone: +61 8 83136764
ARC Training Centre for Innovative Wine Production
c/o TC Manager Dr Joanna Sundstrom
University of Adelaide – Waite Campus
PMB1, Glen Osmond SA 5064
University of Adelaide, Waite Campus
Wine Innovation Central Building
Urrbrae SA 5064
University of Adelaide Waite Campus map – https://www.adelaide.edu.au/campuses/mapscurrent/waite-a3.pdf
University of Adelaide
University of Adelaide
ARC TC-IWP at NWGIC, Charles Sturt University
Phone: +61 2 6933 2940
National Wine & Grape Industry Centre
Charles Sturt University
Locked Bag 588
Wagga Wagga NSW 2678